Pages

Friday, May 29, 2009

Record Searching is Fun!


So I started to collect records. Star gave me a turntable for xmas, with a slue of records ranging from Nat King Cole to the Beetles. My brother that same year save me a old Stones LP that we used to listen to.

I remember when I would drive up to Baton Rouge to hangout with my brother. We would listen to old LPs and just chill. Those are some of the fondest memories that I have. That is probably were most of this love for old records comes from.

I wanted to check out some of the record stores here in the city, so I went to the closest one, The Mushroom. It is just as much of a head shop as it is a record store. Which is cool, but I just wasn't feeling the vibe there. I did find a Clapton record that is in great condition.


I heard from a friend, Blake, that there was a better record store on Magazine, Jim Russel's. He was right. Star and I took a quick excursion there yesterday. We did not have a ton of time, due to the dinner party in three hours. JR's is great. They have an amazing selection. This is a real record store. Now I have not been to many record stores, but JR's has the largest selection of Records I have ever seen. I was looking for a Erma Thomas LP, which they did not have, but there selection of jazz and blues is extensive. I talked to the lady that was working there with her daughter, and she said that they try and specialize in Louisiana musicians, but regularly order records weekly. So they could order what ever you want, and have it in that week. Of course a rarer album will take a tad bit longer.


So I made it back to the rock section and found several great albums. Including Stones greatest hits 64-71, U2 Rattle and Hum, and a special birthday present for Star, The New Kids on the Block. The best part of my finds was a Bob Dylan Greatest Hits, in mint condition. That's not the best part. It still had the original album art inside!!!!!! I showed it to Star but she had a look on her face of unaware and of "Fuck no, that's not going on our wall!!!!!!" I explained to her how rare this was and she only saw my excitement towards a record. The art by the way is in mint condition too. RARE. The lady was asking $50, but of course I paid less than that.

When we got home I told my friend, Sam, that I found the album and what I paid for it and he was thrilled. He had bought it a few weeks ago online, after may unsuccessful bids at locating one with the art work.

I want to have a close friend of ours, who by my eye, an amazing carpenter and artist, make a frame for it. That dude is so busy.
We will see.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment