Pages

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Europe 1

We had arrived in Europe via Munchen, Germany on April 29th. The weather was not very good but we were thrilled to finally be there. Star and I took a taxi that was prearranged by our friend Daniel, whom we were off to meet in Innsbruck, Austria. After two hours we met up with Dan in the town square. The town of Innsbruck is a beautiful place. The area around Innsbruck is wonderful. The view from the city of the mountains is one that I wish to wake up to one day. We hiked up to a mountain hut and had lunch on the second day. It was great. There was still a substantial amount of snow on the ground. There were a ton of bikers out on the trails too. It was Austria's labor day the day of the hike. That night I was very sick. Star suggested that I might have salmonella food poisoning. I felt like shit. She put my on an electrolyte concoction that tasted like whale sperm, do not ask why I know what whale sperm taste like, I just know. We were intended to head for Venice the next day, but there was no way that I was going to be able to ride a train in the morning. Daniel found us a train later that day so we were able to head out but with only one day in Venezia.



We arrived in the early evening and after a short debacle to find the correct bus to our hotel we had arrived to a fabulous hotel, The Hotel Villa Dori. A quint B&B across from the island. We were able to ride a hotel shuttle in the morning to the city.Our time in Venice was very fun. Venice is not a large city, but there is a ton to see. We first went to Moreno to see the beautiful glass. Star was overwhelmed with the shops. We spent some time watching a man blow some glass and headed to Saint Marco Square. In Venice the best way to get around is to ride the water buses. That was the preferred form of transportation for us. The Square is enormous. I forgot how amazing all of the sculptures and statues were. I was reminded the moment we arrived. There were a large amount of people in the square so we headed for lunch. After a light lunch we hiked around Venice and tried to absorb as much as we could. By the end of the day we had seen the wooden bridge, San Marco, the grand canal, Moreno, and we took a gondola ride at sun set. We had a great time in Venice. I am sure glad that I was wearing my Patagonia rock guide pant. They breath great. When we would hike between sights I was very sweaty. As soon as we would stop and eat or visit another magnificent work of art my pants would dry within minutes. AMAZING!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment