Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Learnig to repair shoes




So I am lame. I use a pair of road cycling shoes to commute to work in and I use them to single track in. I is the only pair I have. Last night I was headed to meet my wife at the hospital to help her study for her M&M presentation. On the way the Velcro ripped off of my Diadora's. I did not think anything of it at first but then when I tried to de-clip I was unsuccessful. I skirted a hard fall, just barely. I made it home OK. I sat down and had a beer. I thought that these shoes were cashed. I thought about how long I had them for and realized that I had owned them for almost six years. This was the first time that I had an issue with them, so I think that is a good run for $30 shoes. Right?



Wrong, I needed to get another six years out of them. I found my old sew kit. This took some searching. I started to sew and realized that the needle would slide through the Velcro with ease, but the poly outer layer would prove to not be so easy. I would ultimately use the top to a Camelbak bottle to push the needle through. This would stop the needle from continuing to puncture my finger. I have only sewn a few times, but I grew up watching my mother sew all the time. How hard could it be.
Sewing is not incredibly hard, but I think that there is a better technique to use that I am unaware of. I used the string that came in the packaging with the needle set, which did not list the tensile strength of it's contents. How frustrating.

I wond up with a bike shoe with all of it's original pieces connected in it's almost original fashion. I will test out my work to day on my commute. Stay tuned, maybe I will start a sewing business. Maybe I'll call it "Dirtbag Repair: Sewing, Straight from the Underground". Or maybe I will be buying a new pair of bike shoes, trail shoes this time.

4 comments:

Post a Comment
  1. Yo Eddie, build contest isn't until July. I've got something else in mind though. Minor camber board with a little concave, drop through, similar to mine only stiffer with a nice purple heart stringer down the middle. What do you think?

    Google "Landyachtz Drop Speed" for a general idea of what I'm thinking.

  2. What's the benefit of the drop downs?

  3. Lower to the ground, easier to push and footbrake, easier to slide, when you start wanting to slide, and much more stable at speed.

    Downsides are less tricky, harder to pump.

  4. I think that I will absolutly love what ever you design. Im just excited that you are making me a board. I love everything except the dropdowns, maybe. But I really do not know. I have not ridden a board in a long time. I am not sure what would be best for me. I just want to cruse!!!!!

Post a Comment